Home office versus serviced / shared office
Working from home can give us the freedom to manage our life with a perfect balance between home and work. To do this, we need to be able to avoid all distractions and work just like we were in an office however this is not always easy. Working from home has advantages such us less travelling expenses, rental cost saving and time saving in travelling from home to work.
Working from home also has disadvantages so we should consider all aspects before we make the right decision for us:
- Working alone can affect our levels of motivation. It is good to have someone to share ideas with. Networking electronically is an alternative to start with.
- Distractions at home can affect our work.
- Setting aside a specific place exclusively for work can be difficult if we don’t have enough space.
A serviced office offers an alternative to working from home:
- The opportunity to separate work from home
- Meet people and share ideas
- Develop a network of business connections
- A professional image and a place to meet with clients and suppliers. With serviced office space there is also a range of meeting rooms available to rent on a pay-as-you-go basis.
- The change to grow your business. Some serviced office providers will allow you to change your office space according to your needs. They will be happy to give you additional office space as your business grows, or if necessary, move you into a smaller office – subject to availability.
Consider the following before you make the decision of working from home or to move to serviced office:
- Do you need to meet clients or suppliers?
- Do you want to project a professional image?
- Are you able to spend a lot of time on your own?
- Do you have a budget for an office?
Our personality, the type of business we have and our budget are important elements to consider. The decision has to work for us.
We could consider a virtual office as an affordable alternative, if we decide to work from home. Virtual office services are provided by business centres, both individually and as part of a package. You can choose from a wide range of services, from mail forwarding to use of your own dedicated phone number or mail holding to suit your business needs. This is an affordable solution.